Understanding the importance of the lymph system may be of special interest to everyday people and athletes as we regularly sustain injuries. When we injure our soft tissues (tendons, ligaments, muscles, bursa) fluid collects in the small spaces that surround the damaged tissue, this fluid is referred to as swelling or oedema. This is part of the natural healing process as the body works to bring nutrient-rich fluid to the injured tissue for repair. Recovery time can be decreased dramatically the quicker we can move the old, stagnant fluid out and flood the tissue with fresh nourishment for regeneration.
Lymphatic Drainage massage is a light whole body massage treatment that targets the lymphatic system directly beneath the skin. By using gentle massage techniques such as pumping or rotary movements in the correct directions lymph flow is encouraged in the body and this massage helps the detoxification process of the body by aiding the lymph system to eliminate waste material.
Some benefits of manual lymphatic drainage are:
- Following traumatic sports or day-to-day injuries
- Increased recovery post events
- Post-surgical conditions (especially, knee, hip replacements, and back surgery)
- Post cancer treatments and surgery.
- Regeneration of tissues ( eg from burns, post-surgical scarring )
- To enhances detoxification of the body if you have feelings of “sluggishness”
- Oedema during pregnancy
- Reduction in symptoms of chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia
- Deep relaxation to aid insomnia, stress, depression, and loss of vitality
- Immune System stimulation and support